Thursday, September 29, 2011

Kids Clothing

I am linking up today with Kelly's Korner on where I get my kiddos clothes. Let me start by saying there was a time when saving money on kids clothes was not my top priority...Back when I had only one child and we had 2 incomes. Now with 3 children, homeschooling and one income I have to say I LOVE to save money dressing my kids and it all pays off when someone oohs and awes over and adorable outfit. So here's how we do it at the McClendon's

**I always do the first two I either sew to save or buy used before any other option...That makes it really easy on our pocket book**
1. I NEVER pay full price for anything. So my first stop for my daughter is most always a great consignment shop in another town. Or the sale rack at about 2 chain stores here locally and one consignment store.
2. For my little one (3 yr old) I make as many clothes as possible for him. He is still small so I love Jon-Jon's, longalls, appliqued shirts and gingham shorts...I am addicted! So it is a good thing I know how to sew it saves TONS of money on those types of things. This child of mine gets 90% of his clothes via hand-me-downs from the grandchild of some wonderful friends at church. So normally what I make him is dress clothes, school things and anything holiday related. I also sew alot for my daughter I love to make her clothes I wish she was still small.
3. I shop the children's place alot for my older son. He loves to actually have outfits (rare for a boy) and they have wonderful pieces that work well together making it easy for him and I to pull together a nice wardrobe for less.
4. I have recently discovered EBay for their clothes I have saved alot of money since being introduced to it. I see lots more things coming from there.

I want to add one small thing...I am picky about what my children wear not really the brands or anything but I like for them to dress age appropriate. My now 11 year old daughter and I have had a fight or two in a clothing store but I want her to look like a little girl (okay a young lady) not a street walker! I think she needs to be young as long as possible I don't think it is healthy to allow her to dress like older girls.

2 comments:

  1. I am with you on the full price! I will buy stuff for two years from now, when it's on sale!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love consignment sales, our area is full of them at this time of year! Last year my 4 year old's entire wardrobe cost me less then $30 and she had some Gap, Hannah Anderson, and Gymboree thrown in there. Of course we do get hand me downs from a friend's little girl. Sadly that little girl has started going to kindergarten and wears a uniform, that cuts our hand me downs! I have recently started making skirts for my 4 year old. The baby is just getting hand me downs at this point.

    ReplyDelete