Monday, April 23, 2012

Blessing or Curse

Proverbs 18:20-21
20 From the fruit of his mouth a man’s stomach is filled; with the harvest from his lips he is satisfied.
21 The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit.

Powerful words! To realize that life and death (blessings or curses) are in our tongues. I was reminded last week just how powerful our words can be over our lives and the life's of the ones we speak into. You know the bully who is always made fun of, pushed around and talked down to who later commits suicide? Or the child who is always told they are stupid and therefore they believe they aren't able to go to college and work at a fast food restaurant instead? Or the limb I don't climb out on because I don't believe I am strong enough to handle what may or may not come of my choice because I have been told I am weak?

You can not take back a word that has already been spoken no matter how much you wish you could if the words you spoke cause damage the damage is done in that instant. While an apology may be offered the words are never forgotten. And the way your words make a person feel never goes away either. Do you think of that before you speak? No not me not normally. I am a rather blunt person I say what is on my mind and most of the time with out even thinking I am spewing a curse right over myself, my husband or our children or over those around me. Why in the world would I want to consciously do that? Why would I want to tear anyone down? The truth is I don't I want to build up! So I had to make a conscious decision that I was only going to allow my tongue to offer blessing over my life, my family, my household, finances and those around me. Because lets face it was all have enough in this world cutting us down. When you speak blessings over yourself or those around you that is what comes! Our words are so much more powerful than we even realize. Here are a few more scriptures on the subject from the book of Proverbs...

Proverbs 31:26 She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue.

Proverbs 10:11 The mouth of the righteous is a fountain of life, but violence overwhelms the mouth of the wicked.

Proverbs 11:9 With his mouth the godless destroys his neighbor, but through knowledge the righteous escape.

Proverbs 12:18 Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.

Proverbs 13:3 He who guards his lips guards his life, but he who speaks rashly will come to ruin.

Proverbs 15:4 The tongue that brings healing is a tree of life, but a deceitful tongue crushes the spirit.

Better yet google Proverbs on the power of the tongue! I could post these things all day. But the book of Proverbs has so many wise wise words on the subject. Find a few read over them and let me speak to you about what you are offering...Blessing or Cursing? The choice is ours!

No comments:

Post a Comment