Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Tastey Tuesday-Mexican EggRolls/Loaded Potato Bites

This year we decided to ring in the New Year with a little get together with our friends the Poole's. And to make it easy and fun we did appetizers/snacky food and not a sit down meal. I chose to make Mexican Egg Rolls and Loaded Potato Bites as 2 of my appetizer's. I wanted to share the recipe for Mexican Egg Rolls because every time I make them people RAVE on and on about how yummy they are! I seem to be famous for these. This time I documented the process which seems long but if you prep the chicken the day before or even have some shredded chicken in your freezer (I do this often) you can really cut down on your time it can also be completely prepped the day before and then rolled and fried or baked when ready!

Mexican Egg Roll
Veg. Oil 1-2 c. grated cheddar cheese
1 1/2 lbs. shredded chicken (cooked) 4 Tsp. picante sauce
1pkg. chili seasoning 1can of black beans
4 oz can green chilies 1sm onion chopped
1pkg egg roll wraps found in produce section near tofu
salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil until hot add chicken and onions. Stir until onions are translucent and tender. Drain and rinse black beans combine in a large mixing bowl with chicken, onions, chili seasoning (I only use half a package), picante sauce (I use more then called for), cheese, and drained chilies. Mix well.


This is my ingredients combined (well minus some).
These are the egg roll wraps we buy. Any brand is fine as long as it is the egg roll wrap.



Now that your ingredients are combined...spoon a heaping tablespoon of the mixture into each wrap and fold/roll following the "rolling directions" on your package. Here you see a plate of rolled wraps ready to fry. I don't have any picks of the frying process but it is easy...Just heat a small amount of oil in a frying pan, lay wraps in and allow to cook until golden on one side then flip and repeat. I will add here yes you can bake them I have never personally tried it but if you do please let me know how they turn out. I have been afraid to bake them for fear they wouldn't crisp up.




Finished product below


Since we were having these as an appetizer we just served them with sour cream. If it is a main course serve with sour cream salsa, and we do a side of rice with them. YUMMY FOR SURE!


READY FOR SERVING!


For this shindig I served them on the same platter as Loaded Potatoes Bites you see the sour cream in the middle. I got the idea for the Potato Bites on Pinterest but tweaked the process for myself. Recipe for those below:


Loaded Potato Bites


4 (or more depending on how many you plan to serve) baking or russet potatoes washed well not peeled


shredded cheddar cheese


real bacon pieces (I used the ones out of the salad section)


green onions




Slice potatoes about 1/2 an inch thick. Submerge in melted butter. Place on a sprayed or oiled cookie sheet. Bake for around 12 minutes on 350 flip and bake another 10-12 minutes or until just tender. Top with bacon, green onions and cheese. Serve warm with sour cream or ranch for dipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment